PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSE- JULIANNE BARCLAY
1. How would you describe your style?
I enjoy working from life but as this is not always possible, I gather information through sketching and making studies in various media.
2. What are your influences?
Colour and light are of particular interest. Structure attracts me and also environments with atmosphere. Additionally I find capturing people in their surroundings fascinating.
3. Which Artist do you most admire?
Many artists influence me, but the Baya Area Figurative Artists and the Abstract Expressionists have a particular resonance with me
4. Where is your favourite or most inspiring place in Scotland?
I find everywhere inspiring from the wild and colourful east/ west coast of Scotland to the hustle and bustle of Waverley station!
5. Tell us a bit about your current work?
I have recently been studying the transient café environment, trying to capture its impermanence.
6. How has the Becoming an Artist Course helped you so far?
The course I am currently attending is 'Becoming an Artist'. It has been beneficial in many ways. Not only has it given me confidence, but I have learned the professional aspects involved in being an artist. The course has provided great support and has helped me to make a successful transition from art college into the art world. Also the teaching on the course is fantastic!
7. What do you hope to achieve in the next year?
Next year I am hoping to deepen my understanding of myself as an artist and increase my presence in the art world.
8. Tell us a bit about the making of your work - what medium do you use, surfaces do you work on, how do you begin etc?
Presently I am working in oils on board and have also been exploring mixed media.
JulianneBarclayart on Instagram